The Oracle Cloud offers complete SaaS application suites for ERP, HCM and CX, plus best-in-class database Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) from data centers throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia. For more information about Oracle (NYSE:ORCL), please visit us at oracle.com.
Oracle in Africa
Oracle has been present in Africa for nearly three decades, continuously expanding its presence across the continent to support a fast growing customer and partner base. Oracle now operates 13 dedicated offices across Africa; these include two each in Nigeria, Egypt and South Africa and single offices in Algeria, Kenya, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Senegal, Morocco and Mauritius.
Oracle, through its flagship philanthropic Oracle Academy program, advances computer science education in Africa and makes it accessible to students globally to drive knowledge, innovation, skills development, and diversity in technology fields. Oracle Academy leverages Oracle’s technology leadership to deliver comprehensive programs to secondary schools, vocational schools, two- and four-year colleges, and universities.
With the fourth industrial revolution set to be powered by a combination of compute services and cloud technologies, Oracle is working towards equipping Africa’s fast growing young population with the right IT skills to succeed in a digital economy. Some of the key initiatives are as follows:
• Ponelopele Oracle Secondary School community: Established in March 2006 under a public-private partnership between Oracle Corporation South Africa and the Gauteng Department of Education, Ponelopele Secondary is a no-fee school that now admits more than 1200 Grade 8 – 12 learners annually. Supported by more than 60 school staff, the Midrand-based school has consistently delivered exceptional results. In 2016, the school secured 66 distinctions with the top performer alone achieving 7 distinctions. Furthermore, since 2009 (the first batch of matric students), the school’s matric results have consistently been higher than the national average score. The school celebrated its 10 Year anniversary in 2017.
• Oracle Graduate Leadership Programme: In line with the Government of South Africa’s objective to drive skills development and create job opportunities, the Oracle Graduate Leadership Programme focuses on Professional Development Institute (PDI) students who have fully or partially completed a university degree. Spread over a period of one year, the programme is based on a blended learning approach, combining classroom training with e-learning and structured on-the-job training and coaching with an Oracle Partner. Oracle South Africa sponsors the full cost of training for all programme participants. The programme has successfully delivered sixty three graduates to date, with fifty nine students already registered for the 2017 course.
Who we work with
Oracle PartnerNetwork (OPN) is Oracle’s partner programme that provides partners with a differentiated advantage to develop, sell and implement Oracle solutions. The programme offers resources to train and support specialised knowledge of Oracle’s products and solutions and has evolved to recognise Oracle’s growing product portfolio, partner base and business opportunity.
The programme aims to enable partner workforces to broaden their Oracle offering; continuously upskilling sales representatives within the network, assisting with the growth and development to increase their business locally.
Why Oracle Africa
Building a continent through technology
• Leveraging emerging technologies: Oracle is developing capabilities in AI, machine learning, augmented reality, blockchain, IoT, and human interface technologies, all of which are designed to let customers take advantage of the latest technology advances and develop their own innovative products and services. A pioneer in IoT platforms, Oracle is using enterprise AI in conjunction with IoT to help customers manage physical assets and boost employee productivity. Blockchain is being used in areas such as customer loyalty, procurement, and identity management.
• Accelerating Cloud-led Digital Transformation: Helping enterprises innovate faster, improve customer engagement, drive business-process efficiency, and accelerate digital transformation with Oracle Cloud. Oracle is the enterprise technology partner that positions companies for tomorrow, today.
• Open platform for developers: Working with local coding communities to build developer skills across Africa. Developers don’t just write code; they create innovations using a variety of tools and technologies. Oracle is focusing on the needs of these developers and IT professionals by making its platform more open, modern, and easy to use. Oracle democratises enterprise-grade cloud for all developers and applications, providing the underlying cloud platform and infrastructure to deliver performance, availability, and security. So developers can focus on the development, design, and creative aspects of their solutions.
Developing skills across Africa
Oracle's Strategic Initiatives Team creates and drives strategic relationships and business partnerships across the African continent that provides shared value between business and the community. Oracle works to establish partnerships with, and among development agencies, public and private sector, Non- Government Organisations, Not-for-Profit Organisations, start-up incubators as well as educational institutions to:
- Address ICT skills shortages by training/upskilling unemployed youth and fresh graduates
- Supporting governments' national ICT workforce development roadmaps
- Support developing local innovation efforts and empowering technology entrepreneurship